Tuesday, May 5, 2009

SPT- May 5, 2009 Laugh at Something Old








"What is it?," asked one of my highschool drama students as I pulled it from my box of props. Another student answered "It's an ancient phone." I think it was the word ancient that added 20 years to my life that day.

I did grow up with a phone just like this one. I didn't remember it being quite so heavy. I do remember how fun it was to dial the numbers and watch the dial go around. When did this phone become obsolete? When did we trade in the 20 lb dial up phone for the modern lightweight push button? Here we are 30 years later asking, "What is that?" I fear someday they'll be saying the same thing about me.





P.S. For those of you who read yesterdays post, I now know (thanks to a good friend and coworker) what a mohill is. It is actually a mole hill. She even provided a picture for me. Please tell me someone else out there didn't know that! I've just gotta laugh.









11 comments:

  1. I also had a phone like that, when i was little. Hmmmm I think my parents still have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how the kids didn't even know what it was -

    Barbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually used a business phone recently that had a cord and about strangled myself trying to walk off! Guess we've gotten used to (and spoiled by) cordless cell phones, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a phone like that and I remember when we were big deal and got the phone that hangs on the wall with push buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved dialing those "old" phones. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that picture brings back great memories for me...my grandparents had a phone like that while i was gorwing up....they lived in the country in michigan....AND STILL HAD A "PARTY LINE" TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED the rotary dial phones. Thanks for takin' us all back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks just like the one that sat on the "telephone stand" in the "upstairs hall" of our old house. remember when we actually picked up the phone... without even knowing who was on the other end???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some modern items provide us with "fast" advantages. I just can not think of why we are in such a hurry.

    Cute photo...actually cute photos. Who would have thought a mole was so darn cute?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cracked me up, because I grew up with a phone like this, even though I'm a few years younger than you. We lived on a farm in the sticks, so everything was pretty retro. Also, our rotary phone was that puke green color from the seventies. Oh yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved hearing the clicking sounds these phones made as we dialed them!

    ReplyDelete