Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Laugh when you don't know how to say "no"

Help, my plate is full and I can't pick it up! I am a recovering yes person. I have years of treatment ahead of me before I will recover. While I love everything I am doing, I fail to recognize the limited number of hours in the day or days in a week. Consequently, I find myself and my family leaving early in the morning with enough changes of clothes, homework, and sacks of food to last until the 10 o'clock news time.

This week has been no exception. How it happens is a mystery. I just seem to wake up one day with an overflowing calendar of events, and off we go.

Someday soon I will practice saying "no." I'll start in front of the mirror. I'll work on my tone of voice and my eye contact. After building confidence at the mirror, I will eventually face the person for whom the word "no" is to be said. With fear and trembling, I will utter that word. One of two things will happen as a result. I will either be blacklisted from all events and friendly gatherings, or the person will find an equally capable individual willing to do the task at hand.

I'm quite certain I need more practice in front of the mirror.

1 comment:

  1. It looks great to me. That's all it takes, is to dig in and get started. It can however become addictive and just one more thing that you will have to say no to.

    ReplyDelete